Every summer my kids and I work on one art project a week where they learn about an artist as well as various art techniques and concepts. Join us for our journey into art and art history! The rest of the year we spend crafting and seeing where our creativity takes us!
Craft Project: Beautifying Our Yard in a Creative Way
We made some pour paint flower pots last spring. I decided it would be fun to make some more this spring, including some large pots for flowers in our yard. I'm excited to brighten up our yard this year! Now, I just have to keep my three year old from plucking all the flowers when he's outside playing. LOL!
Every time we do a pour paint project, I am just enamored with the paint. I LOVE watching what it does, how it pools, drips over the side, and ultimately the final product it creates.
We even got my husband in on the project this time!
I loved the glitter pot he made!
Finished pots waiting to dry....
And here are the pots in our yard with flowers in them!
PLEASE NOTE: If you are storing your pots outside in the elements be sure to spray them with clear polyeurathane spray to seal the paint or a terra cotta pottery spray to seal. We also discovered that the acrylic paint holds up much better than the Michael's tempera paint.
It was quite the process to get our landscape bed back to looking good! We had totally let it go last year and it was so overgrown with weeds and grass. We turned it all over, I laid newspaper down, and added the wood chips.
Our complete front landscape bed with painted pots and garden art!
And our final project for the front yard this year....a tic tac toe landscape bed complete with its own painted pots to hold the tic tac toe rocks and another garden plate.
The girls each painted their own set of rocks for the tic tac toe game.
I sealed the painted rocks with clear polyeurathane spray. And here's a close-up of my 9 year old's garden plate. She wanted to paint fish on the plate, but I was worried about being able to seal it properly. So we used foamies stickers and I sprayed them with the polyeurathane spray. I'm crossing my fingers that they hold up through our Minnesota summer weather and strong storms. In my original post about the garden plates, I used UV6800 glue to adhere the coupling to the plate. However, a couple of the gift plates we made didn't hold up to the elements. So now I'm trying gorilla glue. We'll see how that works!