Thursday, June 14, 2012

Sidewalk Chalk Paint

I've seen "recipes" for making your own sidewalk chalk paint before and I was always lazy and figured my kids could just use regular sidewalk chalk. BUT, then I stopped and actually read how you make the paint. Oh my gosh, SO EASY!!!
I decided to shake things up a bit for my kids AND have them help me make the paint. All you need is equal parts water and cornstarch. We used 1 2/3rds cups because that's all the cornstarch I had in the house. But that made enough for me to split into four ziploc containers. Use a whisk to make sure the water and cornstarch are well mixed. Then I added a few drops of my gel food coloring to each ziploc container and whisked some more. The girls were super excited about all of this! What an easy way to turn something they do all the time into a new activity.

Even my 2 1/2 year old painted with it outside and had a great time. I was amazed at how he actually painted with it and didn't just spill it or fling it around.
 
 
 
 
The great thing about this is that you can just throw a lid on the ziploc container and save it for the next time you want to use it. You'll just have to whisk it or shake it up again because the water and cornstarch does separate.

No comments:

Post a Comment