Ella said, "Besides being pretty, they tell stories." I told her she was exactly right! I told the girls that there are some churches that are very, very, very old and that when those churches were built not everyone could read words so the windows told stories from the Bible. That way if people couldn't read, they could still know what the Bible said. I also showed them this more contemporary window I found in Google Images (have no idea the location).
This window is from a church in Germany, "Himmelfahrtskirche" Dresden-Leuben, (1901):
I asked the girls what the shape of the window looked like. Lily said it looked like a flower. I said, "Yes, this is called a rose window!" And many churches have variations of the rose window. Two more famous rose windows:
Notre Dame north rose window; Paris, France c. 1250
This (below) was from the Coonley Estate playhouse designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1912. These windows were in a children's playroom so he designed them using bright colors which he didn't normally use. He called the windows a "Kinder-Symphony". The girls mentioned that this window reminded them of the Mondrian project we worked on last year.
And this last part of the lesson was just a fun way to show the girls how big a stained glass window could be and how it was installed (at least nowadays!).
The church is St. Mary's Catholic Church in Potsdam, NY.
All finished coloring in:
Next, I mixed black tempura paint with Glue-all (using smaller bottles so the girls would have a little more control).
The girls started outlining the black lines with black glue:
They both got a little frustrated though and were worried about "messing up" their projects so I finished up the black glue for them.
The only thing I found frustrating about this project is that the black glue had bubbles in it (not sure if that came from the mixing/stirring we did to create it). And they were difficult to pop right away. You had to wait for the black glue to harden up just a tiny bit before using a toothpick to pop them. Here's an example of one:
After the black glue dried, I folded black construction paper in half and used an Exacto knife to cut circles out. Then glued the girls' pictures inside.
Here are the finished projects hanging in my kitchen window with light shining through: