Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Toddler Activity: Playdoh Invitation

My son likes playdoh quite a bit. But we both get bored just smooshing it and using cookie cutters with it. We have a couple Play-doh sets, but I get annoyed cleaning out all the crevices in those sets so they don't get dried doh in them. Pinterest has a lot of ideas for playdoh invitations to play. You can find some of them here. These have been inspiring for finding new ideas for play-doh play.

I also came across several DIY recipes for playdoh. It's super easy and super cheap to make it. The recipe I decided to use also incorporates kool-aid so it smells great too! And you know I'm always interested in adding in as much sensory material as I can in each activity!

Here's the recipe copied from Meet the Dubiens:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup salt
1 pkg.(6 g) Kool-Aid Unsweetened Drink Mix, any flavor
1 Tbsp. Cream of tartar
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 Tbsp. oil
wax or parchment paper
small airtight containers - I got mine at the dollar store

Make It:
MIX first 4 ingredients in large bowl. Add boiling water and oil; stir with fork 3 to 4 min. or until cooled, then mix with hands until well blended.
PLACE on waxed or parchment paper; knead until no longer sticky, adding additional flour 1 tsp. at a time if necessary.

Here is the invitation I set up for my son when he got up from his nap:
I made this playdoh around Christmas so I chose to use cherry Kool-aid and put red and and green beads in the invitation. My son jumped right in with this!
 Big sister got in on the action as well. They made quite the sculpture!
These photos were a couple hours later after dinner.
 Part of the fun for him was breaking all the long pasta noodles. Great sensory fun!
LOL! His face cracks me up in the one above.
And a couple days later he was still having fun:
Kellan keeps coming back to this over and over again, even a month later! I'll definitely make more of this in different flavors. It's a great activity to entertain him for a good bit of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment